Baking has always been a love of mine. I remember a couple of years ago, the first time I made buttery homemade pie crust using the Barefoot Contessa’s recipe, I was so proud of myself! Also, I remember when I was a girl and made my first cake using Betty Crocker™ boxed cake mix… I was also so proud of myself! Sometimes I love to try new recipes and make everything from scratch, and sometimes store bought baking mix is just as good and can save you money too.
Making cookies around the holidays is something that I love to do. Cookies are treats that I love sharing at family parties as well as at work, and today I have two new super easy cookie recipes using Betty Crocker™ cookie mixes from Walmart. Continue reading “Quick & Easy Holiday Cookie Recipes”
Since I am not much of a meat eater, I am always looking for ways to add more protein into my diet. This Easy Lemon Quinoa Salad is by far my favorite way to eat quinoa. Quinoa is a complete protein, and pairing it with crisp vegetables and bright lemon juice makes it so flavorful and easy to eat.
Over the summer I made this salad several times, but I never got around to sharing the recipe! Even though it is fall now, that has not kept me from enjoying this healthy salad, and I want you to be able to make my Easy Lemon Quinoa Salad too!
My husband Tommy has never been a quinoa fan, but he really liked this salad. The avocado is so creamy, and it goes perfectly with the crisp vegetables and lemon juice. The combination of all of the ingredients sold him on it, and I’m glad because it is such a great source of plant-based protein.
So even though I am looking forward to my hearty fall and winter dishes, I just had to share this fresh, Easy Lemon Quinoa Salad with you! I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
Easy Lemon Quinoa Salad
1 ½ Cups Uncooked White Quinoa
3 Cups Water
¼ Teaspoon Sea Salt
1 Can of Corn (15 ounce) or 1 ½ Cups Frozen Corn Kernels, thawed
1 Whole English Cucumber, diced small
¼ Cup Chopped Fresh Cilantro
2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Juice of 1-2 Fresh Lemons (depending on tartness desired)
¼ Teaspoon of Sea Salt, add more to taste
Black Pepper to taste
1 Large Hass Avocado
1. Rinse quinoa in a fine strainer under water. Combine rinsed quinoa with 3 cups of water and ¼ teaspoon sea salt in a medium sauce pan. Bring ingredients to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cover with a lid. Cook for 15-20 minutes until all water is absorbed and quinoa is fluffy and slightly translucent. Uncover, fluff with a fork and let it cool for 10 minutes.
2. While quinoa is cooking move on to the rest of the recipe. Combine corn, cucumber, cilantro, olive oil, lemon juice (begin with juice of one lemon), sea salt and black pepper in a large bowl and toss all ingredients together.
3. Add cooked quinoa into the large bowl with the other ingredients, and toss together to combine. Add more lemon juice, salt and pepper if desired. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to allow salad to cool and ingredients to combine. When ready to serve top with diced avocado.
• I love the salad with the juice of two whole lemons. I suggest that you only begin with one in case two lemons are too tart for your taste. You can always add more later if desired.
• Do not mix in avocado if you will be saving the salad or using leftovers. Add fresh diced avocado to each dish before eating to avoid avocado browning.