I am a new mama!
My husband, Tom, and I survived the first month of parenthood, and we could not be more in love with our son, Ben!
I decided I wanted to do something special to track each month of his first year. There are so many creative ideas out there, and since I love the look of a chalkboard, I decided to go with that. This is my DIY Monthly Baby Update Chalkboard and Photos.
I will share the easy steps I took to make this project. I think it looks adorable, and it is pretty affordable since you can wipe this board off and change it every month. You only purchase your items once, and you can use them all year. I spent $27 on everything at Hobby Lobby.
- Chalkboard $7.99- on sale for $5.59
- White Chalkboard Marker $2.99
- 4 Pack of Colored Chalkboard Markers $11.99- I used the 40% off a regular priced item and paid $7.19 (The coupon is always online on the Hobby Lobby website)
- 1 Yard of Fabric $9.99 (If you already have a fabric you love, then this project is even cheaper!)
My total was $27.76
So, now for the fun part. I thought of what information I wanted my board to have on it and decided on the categories of: NAME, MONTH, WEIGHT, LOVES, HATES, and FAVORITE SONG.
Tom and I are big music lovers so that’s why I just had to include that category. We play lots of music for Ben, and I can tell he loves this song. I play it all the time, and he is so relaxed when he hears it. Today when I played it for him he gave me a little smile. I know it was likely just a random facial expression, but my heart melted either way!
Anyway, you can change up the categories of what you put on the board every month, and just have fun with it. You can make your board very sweet, you can make it funny, very detailed or you can keep it simple. You can do whatever you want which is what I love.
- Make your chalkboard in advance. I made it the night before I took my photos.
- Plan to take your photos in the morning or daytime when there is good natural light.
- Set up your fabric and chalkboard.
- Lay your baby down next to the board, and take your photos from above them.
- If you make a mistake, these markers wipe off very easily with a damp paper towel. Make sure you wipe it dry as well.
- Choose a well-lit area for your photos. Natural light is best, so open up those curtains or blinds!
- Place a thick, soft blanket on the ground then lay your fabric on top of that so your baby is safe and comfortable.
- Be patient and have fun. Babies are babies, so don’t expect them to pose perfectly for you.
I hope that if you are making your own DIY Baby Update Chalkboard and Photos that my ideas and tips help you. Also, most importantly, that it helps you cherish every single month with your little one!